There is no dispute in the Horn
  
Presse Release
SC/8023
SECURITY COUNCIL EXTENDS MISSION IN ERITREA, ETHIOPIA UNTIL 15 SEPTEMBER UNANIMOUSLY ADOPTING RESOLUTION 1531 (2004) 12 Mar 20
The Daily News

The Daily News

 

 

  
    
  
   Cool Deals
  Unlimited, high
    quality internet
    service


CLICK TO GET STARTED  

_________________

           

 

Ethiopia rejects border ruling

Same way it did the first time

 

04 Dec. 2004, ED News  - While the world was waiting to see what is new in Ethiopia’s “Acceptance in principle” proposal for peace with Eritrea, Ethiopia’s PM could not wait to let the world know that there is nothing new in his “new initiative” but repackaging and renaming of the same, long rebuffed and old position.

 

On Friday, 03 December 2004, PM Meles made his country’s partial acceptance of the border ruling and the demand to renegotiate the ruling over the remaining rest clear. To that effect, Meles told resident diplomats in Addis Ababa in a briefing session attended by reporters that “On the so-called 85 percent of the boundary (with Eritrea), we have said all along that we don't have any objection and it can be demarcated straight away," Moreover, “disagreement over the remaining 15 percent of the border could be solved through dialogue with Eritrea”.  This is exactly how Ethiopia rejected the decision of the Boundary Commission in September of 2003. Then, the world body’s highest organ, the Security Council rebuffed Ethiopia’s partial acceptance/demarcation in no uncertain terms and called and continues to call on Ethiopia to accept the ruling in its entirety and to cooperate with the boundary Commission.

 At that time PM Meles wrote

  1. Security Council set up an alternative mechanism to demarcate the contested parts of the boundary in a just and legal manner so as to ensure lasting peace in the region.
  2. The uncontested parts of the Boundary, specifically the whole eastern Sector of the Boundary and that part of the Central Sector where the river Mareb constitutes the boundary, can be demarcated without waiting for the setting up of the alternative mechanism

 

Only difference here is that this time around it’s all presented in a politically correct form: Dialogue instead of alternative mechanism, ‘acceptance in principle’ instead of rejection, and 15% and 85% of the border instead of contested and uncontested parts respectively.

 

Ethiopia’s revival and reiteration of its long denied and old position shutters all the hope people might have falsely expected from Ethiopia’s “new initiative for peace with Eritrea”, and Ethiopia remains defiant.

 

 

 

 
  
Google